Please consult the college’s Schedule of Credit Classes Bulletin or Academic Calendar for specific beginning and ending dates of the semesters/sessions.
Classes for the fall semester begin the latter part of August and conclude before Christmas. Grade and scholastic standing reports are made available to students late in December. Formal graduation ceremonies are held at the end of the fall semester.
Classes for the spring semester begin the middle part of January and conclude in early May. Formal graduation ceremonies are held at the end of the spring semester.
Odessa College offers a mini-semester between the end of the spring semester and the beginning of summer school if the calendar allows. This mini-semester is similar to Odessa College’s midwinter semester and will allow students to enroll in a three-hour course, which, together with both summer sessions will provide the opportunity to do the normal course work for a normal semester. This schedule opportunity is open to all college students who would like to maximize their number of semester hours in the summer.
Summer Sessions I and II
The summer sessions consist of two terms of approximately five weeks each and one eight-week term, although some programs may have courses that are shorter or longer, depending upon the need. Classes are held Monday through Thursday, during both day and evening hours. Students may enroll in as many as seven semester hours in each five week session.
Credit earned in a course is equivalent to that offered in the same course during a regular semester. Information regarding summer sessions can be obtained from the OC Pathways Advising Center.
OC offers a special short-term session to accommodate students who want to complete a course during the interim period between regularly-scheduled semesters. A midwinter interim session is held following the end of the fall semester and prior to the beginning of the spring semester. Students may complete only one course during this special session.
Day and Evening Classes
Day and evening classes are available to help OC students meet their individual needs. A wide variety of courses is offered for those individuals who want to broaden their educational backgrounds.
Students may complete requirements for an associate degree or certificate plan in most programs during evening hours, although the length of time to complete the programs may be longer than suggested for full-time day students.
Odessa College’s Weekend College offers students alternatives for those unable to attend college during a traditional time frame.
Weekend College Features:
- Standard eight-week format classes that meet once a week on Friday evening, Saturday mornings, or Saturday afternoons.
- The opportunity to complete the entire core curriculum of the Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.) or the Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T)
- Additional courses in selected majors are offered for students who wish to earn an A.A., A.S., or A.A.T. degree and many students transfer to a four-year institution to earn a bachelor’s degree.
- Developmental courses that improve the basic skills of students whose academic foundation needs strengthening are available.
Weekend College is here to help…
- Individuals unable to attend weekday or evening classes due to travel requirements, overtime hours, varied or rotating shifts.
- Single parents or stay-at-home parents.
- Students wanting to accelerate their academic progress.
- Individuals anticipating a career change.
- People working full-time seeking advancement.
- Individuals planning to re-enter the job market or beginning a new career.
- Anyone whose family or professional responsibilities make it difficult to attend regular classes during the week.
Weekend College students are held to the same academic performance standards as traditional students and Weekend College course content matches the college’s weekday offerings. Weekend College students must apply and be accepted to Odessa College in order to enroll in Weekend College classes. No special permission is needed to enroll in Weekend College and registration is through Web Advisor, or your Success Coach, as with traditional courses.
For more information, please contact the Division of Arts & Sciences at 432.335.6412 or Wrangler Express at 432.335.6400.